Application Control Policy
Application Control is a very powerful tool used to block particular applications. This feature is used in Endpoint Security (EPS - Admin Console). The main purpose of this tool is to increase the productivity of the organization. This is done by blocking those applications which are not important for the organization.
- An administrator can block unwanted applications and permit access only to approved once.
- The applications running in a particular network connected PCs can be viewed in Endpoint Security Server.
- An administrator can easily block or allow the use of any applications.
- Create policies as per the department and apply that policy.
- View individual PC applications or view all applications running on all PCs together as per the policy.
- Set the application control in 'Audit Mode' to verify the policies in the network for the initial few days and then, later on, convert the policy from 'Audit' to 'Action'.
- An administrator can check the policy assigned date and applied date in the End Point Security.
- Manage all the applications without visiting the client PC.
- An administrator can manage the application control from the web or from local server PC.
How can we achieve this?
You need to follow the below steps to implement the application control in your organization.
Select the 'App Control' tab from the Admin Console Dashboard. (Please check the following image).
Step 2 :
You can see the additional menus at the end of dashboard.
Step 3 :
Create the policy for the individual PC or group of the PC.
Write the Policy Name in 'New Policy Name' text box and click on the plus(+) button.
(Please check the highlighted area in the following fig.)
Step 4 :
Select the PC on which you have to implement the created policy and click on the apply button as shown in below figure.
To add the application in block or allow the list to edit your policy according to your needs.
The policy editor contains the following Tabs:
You can view the reports from all PCs under a policy. Firstly, select the duration for viewing the reports (only last three months). Click on 'All PC Report' to view reports from all client PCs in the network for the selected month.
You can Identify and Review applications running on client PCs. An administrator can see the details of each app like file name, path, publisher description etc. The report also shows the count and names on the PC where this application was launched with the launched date-time.
An administrator can review this report, identify and add any unwanted or unproductive applications to the 'Blocked Apps List'.
Step 5 :
Block Apps :
Just check / tick and click on 'Block Apps' to block the selected applications. Now the blocked apps will be visible in the Blocked List Tab.
Step 6 :
Approve Apps :
Applications which are useful and the administrator has already reviewed are all added under approved apps.
Approved apps are excluded from the report so that the admin can concentrate on new applications running on the client PCs which are not reviewed yet.
If the client is trying to run any application which is set in the block list then that client will get this popup warning message.
How to Edit / Delete / view Policies:
1. Go to 'Application Control tab' and click on 'View All link'.
2. Then select a policy to edit or delete.
3. Now double click on policy to view added PCs.
After deleting any policy, the PCs connected to that network will get free from that applied policy.